Founded in 1884, Bangor University has a long tradition of excellence and exceeds expectations, both for academic standards and student experience. Bangor University has over 11,000 students and over 650 teaching staff based in 23 Academic Schools grouped into five Colleges
- Bangor University is in the top 40 in the UK for research (excluding specialist institutions and single-submission universities). University`s research has a major impact around the world according to the latest assessment of research quality, the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014. The REF recognised that more than three-quarters of Bangor's research is either world-leading or internationally excellent, ahead of the average for UK universities. Over half of Bangor’s academic Schools have been ranked in the UK top 20 for quality of research.
- Bangor University is committed to being known globally as The Sustainable University. Much of what Bangor University does is based on its desire to bring sustainability to life; whether through its teaching, research or public engagement. Bangor University has established The Sustainability Lab to lead on all aspects of sustainability across the University. Bangor University has ISO14001 and Green Dragon Level 5 accreditation for environmental management and it is in the top 5% of the world’s greenest universities according to the Universitas Indonesia UI Green Metric.
- The latest National Student Survey (NSS) results reflects the University’s focus on overall student experience. The results – released August 2016 – place Bangor amongst the UK’s top 15 universities for student satisfaction (excluding specialist institutions). The Business Scholl is ranked amongst the UK’s top 10 universities for student satisfaction in the subject area of Finance.
- The Times Higher Education Student Experience Survey placed Bangor within the top 15 universities in the UK for student experience.
- The University is rated amongst the top 55 universities in the UK, according to The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2016.
- Bangor University has also been rated as the 4th best university in the UK in a poll of student reviews (What Uni Student Choice Awards 2016).
- Bangor University is ranked 107th in the world for global outlook (Times Higher Education World Ranking, 2015-16).
- Bangor Business School is consistently ranked as one of the top 25 institutions in the world for research in the field of Banking (RePEc, as of July 2016) and is also ranked amongst the top 25% business schools in the UK for research intensity (REF 2014).